Senior Recruitment Specialist, Billy talks interview tips
Senior Recruitment Specialist, Billy Senior at Xpertise Recruitment works in the London practice and wanted to share some top tips for interviewing, regardless of seniority.
I’ve worked in the recruitment industry for a while now, ranging from Graduate to Senior hires and I want to share with you some advice that I share with my candidates prior to their interviews.
I tell them to PEEL their way through it.
What do I mean by this? Well…
P – Stands for what exactly is the POINT you’re making?
E – Is for do you have the EVIDENCE to back up your POINT?
E – Means that you should provide an EXPLANATION to your EVIDENCE.
And L – This is where you LINK your EXPLANATION to the question.
Sounds simple doesn’t it.
Let’s put this method into context, we’ll say the interviewer has asked…
“What’s your biggest strength?”
I’ve heard good things come in 3s, so let’s break this down with 3 examples…
P – This is your strength. Examples of which can be:
- Technical Ability
E – Why exactly do you feel you have this strength?
- Do you come from a sporting background? Do you have siblings? Do you always want to be the top performer?
- Did you recently overcome an illness or injury? Have you bounced back from a bad month? Were you under-performing at university, but you didn’t stop until you got your desired grade?
- Do you have a GitHub you can share? What technologies do you use? What project have you worked on previously?
E – Don’t forgot to explain! Don’t simply just list examples!
- What sport do you play? What are you and your siblings competitive on? What makes you want to be the top performer?
- How did you overcome an illness or injury? How did you bounce back? What grade were you working towards?
- Can you talk through your GitHub? Why do you use those technologies? Why did you want to work on your last project?
L – Why is having your strength important for this role?
- Why do you need to be resilient?
- Why do you need to be competitive?
- Why do you need to have high technical ability?
Oh and don’t forget to do your research, but if you’re not doing that, then the opportunity you’re going for probably isn’t the right move for you.
Xpertise Recruitment are recruitment specialists within the Digital and Technology industry. So if you’re looking for a new role within this space or simply want to speak with specialist Consultants who can offer you the best advice, then get in touch.
We’re also hiring….interested? We have a dedicated career site which you can explore the latest opportunities.